The old adage of “the first impression is the last impression” is very true when it comes to buying a new home. When you go to prepare your home for that very first showing, always be sure to keep this in the back of your head and start from the outside of your home to the inside.
This might sound crazy to some, but most times a home is actually sold within minutes of a potential buyer pulling into the driveway. That first impression is a big one and is going to last to a buyer throughout the entire showing of your home. If a buyer is interested, that first impression will also last up until they make an offer and can have a great effect on what they perceive to be the value of your home.
So step into the buyers' shoes and see it from their perspective.
Here are some quick and easy tips on how to increase the curb appeal of your home:
- Mow your lawn, trim hedges, pull weeds and water that lawn.
- Pick up and declutter all areas of your hard.
- Plant flowers and shrubs (depending on the season)
- Clean up any pet areas
- Add sod to any grassy areas that may not be so grassy any more!
- Remove any tacky or distracting decorations.
- Add new bark or mulch to your gardens
Exterior Home Repair
- Paint or touch up any siding that may need it.
- Stain or repair any outstanding issues to fences or decks.
Exterior Home Cleaning
- Wash those windows, both inside and outside!
- Hose down your siding or brick
- Clean your driveway of any stains or marks.
- Sweep your driveway and any pathways
Decks & Porches
- Add a nice doormat, wreath or sign to your front door/entrance.
- Add hanging flowers to your porch
- If you don’t already have it, purchase (or borrow) some lawn furniture
- Add a house number
- Fix or add a new mailbox